Monday, June 29, 2009

Coupons

So the latest rage is this whole clipping coupons and saving tons of money. I really think it's a good idea, just not for me. After watching an Opera episode of the "coupon mom" she broke everything down on how and what to do. Also LeeAnn and mom are big into right now. But here is the problem that I face. #1 A large majority of the coupons in the paper or from store ads are not things that I normally buy, so if I buy the item that the coupon is for and only pay just a little for what the item normally costs, am I really saving any money because if I just didn't buy the item at all I would have not spent any money! So really its not that I am saving money just spending it on things that we just don't eat.(Side note, yes I am brand picky which is probably the biggest problem, but hey, I can't help it if I am stuck on buy certain items) #2 The items that I do normally buy, I forget about my coupon in my purse and it just ends up with a mess of a purse and no saved money because you actually have to give the coupon to the cashier in order for it to save you money (leaving it in the bottom of your purse for months just leads to a very distraught looking coupon that has long since expired)

Now one thing I am good at is clothes saving. I am in a wedding at the end of July and the bridemaids are to wear a black dress. I am super excited to announce that I now have a very cute little black dress and that little black dress was priced at a whopping $165. Now before you die, the dress was marked down to $50 and with my $25 off gift card I only paid $25 for it. Now with all that money I saved I can go for the BCBG shoes I have been eye-ing for the past month!

3 comments:

Kalia said...

Ditto that with the couponing! I don't buy most of the prepared foods that coupons are generally for. I'd love to have an overloaded cart for $30, but that takes true true talent, not just a coupon here or there. So, whatever, I try to watch the ads, but then I go to Walmart and everything I was price matching was already cheaper in the Walmart brand products, so whatever even more, ya know?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Keri-
This is Sandi from forever ago. How are ya! I found your blog from Rochelle's. I can't get into the couponing thing either for pretty much the same reasons. I thought for sure I was the only one out there!

LeeAnn and Boys said...

I know I'm a little crazy about couponing lately. In fact, I've neglected my blog terribly since I've discovered how many cool things I can get for cheap cheap. I just want to make a quick comment on problems #1 and #2. #1 I've had to re-evaluate some of my couponing because I did get caught up in the "deal" over what we need and what was healthy. but I'm learning and have been able to help a lot of other people by donating the items I don't use ie I'm brand picky on Toothpaste but I donate the other brands I get for free.
#2 I've had my checkout line panicks too. I've gotten a lot more organized before I go to the store and have very specific shopping lists. But you may want to check Cellfire.com and upromise.com. These companies load the choosen coupons right onto your store loyalty card (Ie Albertsons Prefered card) the discount will be taken off when you purchase the item and swipe your card. You don't even have to mention it to the cashier.
anyway I know that couponing is not for everyone. Right now it's really fun for me and I have the time to do it. And If i was really cute and skinny like you clothes shopping might be more fun!!